A canister vacuum cleaner is a popular choice. Motor, filter/bag are place inside a small lightweight plastic pod on wheels with a typically long vacuuming hose secured to it. They are easily pulled around to the spot where you want to clean-up.
Main Features of a Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Here are the important features.
- Reach-ability and versatility are what these vacuums are about as the flexible hose makes light work of cleaning stairs, underneath furniture, upholstery, curtains and generally hard to reach corners of your home.
- There are so many variations of canister vacuums on the market now that can easily manage all types of flooring such as tiled areas, all carpets, hardwood flooring, rugs, etc and this is what you should expect from quality vacuum cleaners being sold today.
- Stairs always present problems but the vacuum manufacturers have thought about this and made them as lightweight as possible so canisters can readily be carried up and down stairs for increased portability. Also when you get to the bedroom for example vacuuming under the bed is fairly easy as the brush head is made as flat as possible so you can in effect get right underneath objects that are only a few inches in height. You could not really do this with a classic upright vacuum cleaner or even a good stick vacuum.
- HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) Filter vacuum. A high percentage of canister vacuum cleaners now come fitted with Hepa filters. This is a special type of air/dust filtering technique that is used to remove dangerous allergens akin to dirty dust particles and bad air. Sadly, allergies are more common than ever now in society so if you are a sufferer it is vitally important that you choose a vacuum cleaner that has some form of Hepa filter installed. This page will not go too deep into allergens and Hepa filters- Another page will cover this.
- If you decide to buy one of these vacuum cleaners it's possible that it will come with some attachments-so look out for these.
– Mini turbine vacuum head.
– Mattress tool.
– Telescopic extension tubes.
– Car cleaning attachment kit.
– Dusting brushes.
– Crevice tools.
- A canister vacuum cleaner is a very good choice but it's all down to your specific needs or how your home/furniture is laid out. Electrolux, Miele and Eureka all sell top of the range cleaners for all tastes. Buying a vacuum is an investment so make sure you buy quality and warranty preferably 2 years.
After all, the canister vacuum is still one of the best traditional vacuum cleaners in the market. The price ranges from below $100 up to thousand dollars for some high end models. So, get the most suitable for your house cleaning needs.